Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: Maharashtra Mans Organic Fertiliser Cuts Water Use By 25%, Earns Rs 10 Crore/Year #IndiaNEWS #Lede Today, most of the food we consume is grown using chemical fertilisers, and has been sprayed with

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #IndiaNEWS

Maharashtra Mans Organic Fertiliser Cuts Water Use By 25%, Earns Rs 10 Crore/Year #IndiaNEWS #Lede
Today, most of the food we consume is grown using chemical fertilisers, and has been sprayed with toxic pesticides, which can adversely impact health. While the effects might not be immediate, they will definitely show up at some point in time. In 1985, Jayant Barve, then 42 years old, began manufacturing and selling this poison. He even won accolades and awards for high sales.
A graduate of physics, Jayant came with the experience of having served in CSIR-NCL (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Chemical Laboratory), and taught students at the University of Pune. Having been in the field of science for years, the man knew exactly what went into these pesticides and fertilizers, and their potential hazards to human life.
The entrepreneur was happy with high sales. “I went on well for a year, and advised farmers on what kind of chemical fertilisers and pesticides they should use for their crops,??? he says.
Pricking the conscience
Jayant in his organic Chikoo farm.
One day, when a farmer came to his store with a harsh demand, Jayant’s perspective changed. “The farmer had been growing grapes, and complained that crows had damaged the crop. They ate the fruit, and the juice spilled onto other ones, ruining the remaining crop. He asked for a solution that would kill the crow when he consumed the grapes,??? Jayant tells The Better India.
Once a crow dies of food poisoning, the other crows sense the food is unsafe and avoid consuming it. “I was shocked to hear the strange demand. I realised a strong chemical with the potential to kill a bird would have equally harmful effects on humans. Moreover, he told me the grapes were due for harvest in a week. So the effect of the pesticides would still be strong,??? he says.
The entrepreneur denied this request. But the incident changed his approach altogether. Over the next few years, Jayant, now 77 years old, diverted his knowledge to creating organic manure to replace chemical fertilisers used in farms. Now, along with different states in India, the organic fertiliser is a hit in even Kenya and Namibia, and earns him Rs 10 crore a year. Though Jayant’s conscience changed overnight, it took almost three decades to bring a positive transformation in the mindsets of farmers.
To begin with, Jayant decided to experiment with organic farming on his barren ancestral land. “I had never grown a crop in my life, but knew about organic growing methods through experts in Pune. I could only be convinced my product would work after I had experimented and was sure the method was efficient,??? he says.
Jayant decided to grow grapes organically. He read books, met experts in Pune, attended seminars and workshops, and started practising vermicompost methods.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme