Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: How A 22-YO Carpenter Became a Hindi Wikipedia Reviewer, With Over 57,000 Edits #IndiaNEWS #Inspirational In 2011, Raju Jangid from Jodhpur, then a student of Class VIII, searched the internet for

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #IndiaNEWS #Inspirational

How A 22-YO Carpenter Became a Hindi Wikipedia Reviewer, With Over 57,000 Edits #IndiaNEWS #Inspirational
In 2011, Raju Jangid from Jodhpur, then a student of Class VIII, searched the internet for information about Bollywood star Mithun Chakraborty, and landed on the actor’s page on Wikipedia, the largest free encyclopaedia in the world. Subsequently, he found that all his other searches pulled out a Wikipedia page.
“The site had information about any topic I searched. My interest increased, and I kept browsing the website to find whatever information was available on it,??? he recalls.
Over the next few months, Raju looked up Wikipedia’s history, and learned more about page creators, contributors, editors, and the organisation at large. Owing to his poor financial condition, the village boy from Thadiya had no means to get a smartphone, and used a keypad handset for all his research.
“There are discussions among members on the website, and I started reaching out to community members to get answers to any queries I had. I learned that the platform is a non-profit, and the contributors do not get paid. Additionally, anyone can write or edit to the content on the pages,??? he says.
While as simple as this is in theory, Raju struggled to get his articles, written from his primitive handset, approved. But now, he is a reviewer for Hindi Wikipedia, having contributed to 1,880 articles and edited over 57,000 of them in the language.
A rough start
Hindi Wikipedia page.
Raju, now 22 years old, says his journey has been difficult, both on the personal as well as professional front. He had to quit his education to support his farmer parents, who had about 7. 5 acres of land. “The agricultural activities were barely helping us survive, and my father suggested I start earning. I quit school after Class X, and began working as a carpenter in the village, earning Rs 7,000 a month,??? he says.
Raju’s interest in exploring Wikipedia carried on simultaneously, and he decided to contribute through his writing in Hindi. He started by creating a page for himself and his brother, and wrote some more information about his village. All of it disappeared the next day. With no references to support the information, the article was pulled down by the editors.
“I made repeated attempts over two years to upload the articles, but failed. Eventually, the administrator blocked me thrice in 2013 and 2014, In the process, I learned that all the articles need to be unbiased and neutral. They cannot promote or advertise a person or celebrity. Most importantly, all of them need the support of citations and references for the information,??? Raju tells The Better India.
He created a new account in 2015 and decided to follow all community guidelines hereon.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme