Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: Free UPSC Coaching to Treating Addicts: Nagaland IPS Goes Above Duty to Save Lives #IndiaNEWS #Civil Servants When Dr. Pritpal Kaur Batra, a 2016-batch officer of the Indian Police Service (IPS),

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #Civil #IndiaNEWS

Free UPSC Coaching to Treating Addicts: Nagaland IPS Goes Above Duty to Save Lives #IndiaNEWS #Civil Servants
When Dr. Pritpal Kaur Batra, a 2016-batch officer of the Indian Police Service (IPS), was first posted in the remote eastern border district of Tuensang in Nagaland as a sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), she was immediately struck by the generous and giving nature of its residents, who accorded her a warm welcome.
“Aside from the sheer beauty of the place, what touched me most was how genuine and kind people were to me when I arrived there in 2018. Despite my being an outsider, they made me feel at home. That’s what inspired me to go above and beyond the call of duty,??? says Dr. Kaur, currently serving as the Superintendent of Police in Noklak district, to The Better India.
Using her long standing passion for and knowledge of teaching and farming, Dr. Kaur conducted free coaching classes for UPSC and state service aspirants, bought books and other study materials for them with her own money, and treated, counselled and taught drug addicts new vocational skills like organic farming.
As a result, Dr. Kaur, a native of Yamuna Nagar, Haryana, has made a real mark among the communities of Naga Hills who have been deleteriously affected by rampant underdevelopment, proliferation of synthetic drugs, HIV-AIDS, and a long-running insurgency.
Dr. Pritpal Kaur Batra addressing members of the Noklak Village Council.
First posting
As SDPO in Tuensang, she did not just deal with prisoners and criminals at the police station, but interacted with various schools, churches, student unions, and civil society organizations. She was captivated by the sheer potential of the young students she met and was determined to do something for them.
“Tuensang is situated on the easternmost fringes of our Nagaland. The district is quite segregated from the rest of the state because of the hilly terrain. There were many students who had completed their graduation but were unable to get the right sort of guidance for cracking state or Union civil service exams. In Nagaland, the government remains one of the biggest employers. For many youngsters, getting a job with the state is a way out of poverty and prevents them from succumbing to the pitfalls of anti-social activities like drugs,??? says Orenthun Kikon, the Extra Assistant Commissioner (EAC), who helped Dr. Kaur setup coaching classes for the students.
Dr. Kaur decided to set up coaching classes for the Union civil services exam on a trial basis. The local administration advertised this initiative using social media and received a good response. The Superintendent of Police, Bharat Markad, helped her by sanctioning the use of the conference hall on the office premises and even supported the venture with money to purchase study materials.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme