Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: Odisha Artist Makes 40 Products From Bamboo, Can Replace Most Plastic in Your Home #IndiaNEWS #Handicrafts In Bihar’s Jamui district there is a unique public playground under construction. From

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #Handicrafts #IndiaNEWS

Odisha Artist Makes 40 Products From Bamboo, Can Replace Most Plastic in Your Home #IndiaNEWS #Handicrafts
In Bihar’s Jamui district there is a unique public playground under construction. From benches and chairs to swings, slides, and even dustbins around the playground will be made of Bamboo thanks to Ananda Mohanta, an Odisha-based artisan.
“The work started early in March with eight people but slowed down owing to the lockdown. Using five trucks of bamboo we have completed most of the construction. But it will take another year to complete the project,??? says Ananda Mohanta. He also adds that there are bamboo cottage-like structures placed around the park where visitors can take shelter and rest.
A cottage-like structure being constructed

But it is not just park utilities that Ananda builds, he can replicate 40 different household objects such as sofa sets, arm chairs, pen stands, and more with bamboo.
About the artisan
After completing his education at the Government Inter College in Odisha, Ananda Mohanta, a resident of Betnoti town of Mayurbhanj district, started working as a Sal leaf trader with another farm in his village. He would collect these leaves and distribute them across various cities to make plates and cups.
In 2008, he took up a course on Bamboo crafts organised by the National Bamboo Mission in Dehradun.
“It was a three-week course free of cost, but after attending it I wanted to learn more. So I paid extra and stayed back for a three-month course to learn more about how to make crafts from Bamboo. Once I was confident with my skills, I returned to my village and continued practising the craft with bamboo I sourced locally. I would make pen stands, decorative flowers, and try to replicate all household products using bamboo. After a few months of practise, In 2009, I purchased 10 acres of land from the government to start growing bamboo. Owing to the geographical location, Bamboo grows very well,??? says Ananda adding that he applied for loans and sourced necessary machines for cutting the bamboo, and treating it.
For new ideas, Ananda would look around his home and identify products made from plastic or any other material. Keeping that item as his subject, he would try to replicate the same using bamboo.
An arm chair made by the artisan
His projects
He started by selling simple household items such as bowls, pen stands and water bottles but soon started to make sofa sets, doors, windows, cottages, and 40 different products. The household items are sold across the country and he says that it takes only a few hours to make these. In one day Ananda can make a minimum of four baskets, cups, or buckets.
“I built a 100 sq ft cottage in Sambalpur, Odisha which is used as a guest house. It has an attached toilet and a verandah.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme