Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: ‘Extinctions’: Sharmistha Mohanty’s rich and plentiful writing demands several rounds of re-reading #IndiaNEWS I say this rarely about writers – but I have loved and admired everything that

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #IndiaNEWS

‘Extinctions’: Sharmistha Mohanty’s rich and plentiful writing demands several rounds of re-reading #IndiaNEWS
I say this rarely about writers – but I have loved and admired everything that I’ve come across written by Sharmistha Mohanty. Earliest of all, Five Movements in Praise (2013), a text in prose that unfolds with the cadence of a poem, and in keeping with the musical metaphor moves like a chord progression through the sections “Town???, “Forest???, “City???, “Caves???, “Landscapes???. Is it a novel? I’d found myself asking; I hadn’t quite come across anything like it before in structure and form. It brought together text and image, it deployed ways of telling unusual for a novelistic project. Perhaps it is a novel, I’d come to conclude, and so much more. One couldn’t really say, and I realised only later, that that was perhaps the point. To push the boundaries of what we experience as, and expect from, a novel, a book, a text.Next, more recently, The Gods Came Afterwards (2019), a collection of poem-prayers that demanded to be read aloud, that were sparse, Biblical, Indic. Here, Mohanty harnessed in her poems the power of orality, the relish and revelling of sound and repetition. I was so struck by these poem-prayers that I included some of them in my course “The Spoken and the Sung??? at...Read more

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme