Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: Mom Daughter Turn Waste to Wealth With These Eye-Catching, Hand-Painted Beauties #IndiaNEWS #Small Businesses of India Mother and daughter Riti Jain Dhar and Maanya Dhar have been upcycling old,

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #IndiaNEWS #Small

Mom Daughter Turn Waste to Wealth With These Eye-Catching, Hand-Painted Beauties #IndiaNEWS #Small Businesses of India
Mother and daughter Riti Jain Dhar and Maanya Dhar have been upcycling old, broken, and discarded items by hand-painting them, giving them a new lease on life.
“We live in a world that believes in throwing away things after using them briefly. This starts bothering you if you care about the planet. I had always loved painting as a creative outlet. So, I would repaint any run-down items in my home, like my younger daughter’s desk. Then I wondered if I could do it for others,??? recalls Riti.
Her daughter, Maanya, would give her company in these artistic and upcycling endeavours.
Adding value to junk
Some hand-painted products by the mother and daughter
Riti would visit junkyards around Delhi and pick up items to paint on.
“Once, I went to the market to buy some plumbing hardware as we were re-doing a few things around the house. At one shop, I saw wood planks lying around. I thought if we fixed handles on the sides and repainted the piece of wood, it could transform into a beautiful tray. I picked it up and did exactly that,??? she smiles.
With friends and family appreciating her artwork, she would often get requests from them. And each time, they would be awed at the colourful transformation of the items they were on the verge of discarding. Some would often come and give her stuff that they no longer needed, and she would work her magic on them.
This is what led to the birth of Imarim in early 2017, a small business based in Gurugram where the duo sells upcycled items that have been hand painted. These include decorative pieces like tea kettles, sculptures, wall art, coasters, notebooks, paintings, and coasters, among others. They also sell beautiful cushion covers fashioned out of old scrap fabric.
Daughter Maanya (left) and mother Riti
Additionally, they take commissioned projects where one can have their choice of items upcycled after giving them a brief. The duo also takes on interior design projects where they transform a space, keeping waste at a minimum.
“I have to emphasise that most of my designs have been inspired by nature and the pieces that have included animals have been most well-loved,??? smiles Riti.
The duo has created over 100+ designs on different pieces, about 80 per cent of which have been picked up from a junkyard and upcycled. The final products are sold on their e-commerce website. In conversation with The Better India, Riti shares their journey.
Growing up in a creative home
Art and colours have been a part of Riti’s life for as long as she can remember.
“I grew up in a very creative and liberal home. My father worked at The Times of India and was a photography enthusiast.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme