Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: No funds to repair burnt Kannada library #IndiaNEWS #News Mysore/Mysuru: Tomorrow is November 1, Kannada Rajyotsava but the Kannada library that was reduced to ashes in April this year in the city

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #IndiaNEWS

No funds to repair burnt Kannada library #IndiaNEWS #News
Mysore/Mysuru: Tomorrow is November 1, Kannada Rajyotsava but the Kannada library that was reduced to ashes in April this year in the city still remains in a shambles. None of the promises that were made after the library was burnt were fulfilled and even after seven months, nothing has moved on the construction front. And Syed Isak, the man who had built the library, is helpless. His reading space still functions from the open space and he and his readers have to duck for cover when it rains.

Now the officials say that there is no money and grants are awaited. I carry over 200 books daily to the library from my home in batches and carry them back in the evening. Even now over 100 people come here daily to read newspapers and books. How can I tell them no? When it rains, I cover the books with plastic sheets, he told Star of Mysore.

Syed Isak has never been to school but his love for books gave wings to his dream of setting up a library. On April 9 this year, this library at Rajivnagar 2nd Stage — with 85 percent of books in Kannada and newspapers of various languages — was reduced to ashes. Later it was discovered by the Police that an ignited match stick thrown into a sofa repair shop behind the library caused the fire.

Sixty-two-year-old Syed Isak, an underground drainage cleaner, painstakingly set up the library in 2011 to encourage people to read books. And the library became popular too. “My Kannada library is located in an area where there is a majority of the Urdu-speaking population and Kannada language must be propagated in areas like these,??? he said.

Soon after the library was gutted, many online fund-raiser campaigns were launched and many Kannada book publishers, academics and politicians reached out to Syed to help him rebuild his dream. It was announced that the library would be built at the same spot and would be jointly funded by MCC, MUDA and Department of Libraries.

A joint statement was released by officers that said that the construction would be carried out by Nirmithi Kendra. They also said they had not sought donations from the public for constructing the library and an exclusive bank account was opened to keep the donations for the sake of transparency and accountability.

The officials had stated that April 23 had been fixed as the date for laying the foundation stone for the library to coincide with World Book Day. But this did not happen due to Government’s COVID restrictions. Even after the pandemic has eased now, there is no news from the officials.

Though I was promised that the library would be built at the same spot, till now no foundation stone-laying ceremony has been performed.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme