Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: NIFT Grad Designs Innovative Clothes Using Solar Energy, Empowers Over 500 Women #IndiaNEWS #Fashion Do you know of a ‘sustainable fashion brand’ that spins its yarn on solar charkhas, weaves

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #Fashion #IndiaNEWS

NIFT Grad Designs Innovative Clothes Using Solar Energy, Empowers Over 500 Women #IndiaNEWS #Fashion
Do you know of a ‘sustainable fashion brand’ that spins its yarn on solar charkhas, weaves fabrics on solar looms and stitches garments on solar-powered sewing machines?
Founded in 2016 (but incorporated in 2019) by Abhishek Pathak, a graduate of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in Delhi, Greenwear Fashion Private Limited is powered by renewable energy to create “high-quality??? yet affordable textiles and garments.
(Image above of Abhishek Pathak, Founder and CEO of Greenwear Fashion)
Greenwears USP lies in its internal value chain of ‘solar-vastra’, i. e. yarns spun on solar charkhas, fabrics woven on solar looms and garments stitched on solar sewing machines
Based out Lucknow, Greenwear also provides forward market linkages to solar charkha yarns homespun by rural women in different textile clusters of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar by producing a variety of fabrics, including Khadi (hand spun and woven natural fibre cloth) woven on solar looms and handlooms, and also creating different types of garments using these fabrics. While yarns are spun by rural women in their households (hence they are also called homespun), the fabrics are woven by traditional weavers or newly trained loom operators.
“Greenwear’s focus since its inception revolved around creating livelihood opportunities for rural women and reducing the fashion industry’s carbon footprint. It is working in close association with Bhartiya Harit Khadi Gramodaya Sansthan (BHKGS), which has trained around 3,500 rural women across the country in the skill of spinning yarns on solar charkhas. It provides training for three months and then facilitates these women by linking them with financial institutions so that they become owners of 10-spindle, solar-run charkha installed in their households. Hence, these women are able to work from their households while taking care of family and daily chores,??? says Abhishek Pathak, Founder and CEO, speaking to The Better India.
(Image courtesy Greenwear Fashion)
Finding Inspiration
Born and raised in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh, Abhishek studied textile design at NIFT-Delhi.
“Studying in NIFT-Delhi gave me exposure to a plethora of fashion-related design and technology. There were also several field trips during this period that helped shape my ideas and understanding of fashion. Students from NIFT visited artisan clusters to learn about their local artwork. My first visit was to a weaving cluster called Maheshwar in Madhya Pradesh, where I witnessed weaver clusters at the grassroots, he recalls.
Despite starting his professional career with a US-based home furnishing brand, Abhishek always knew that he wanted to start something of his own in Indian textiles.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme