Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: 30,000 Trees, 1 Man: Meet Odishas Incredible 75-Year-Old Tree Teacher #IndiaNEWS #Environment Antaryami Sahoo from Kantilo village in Odisha was barely 11 years old when he planted a banyan sapling

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #Environment #IndiaNEWS

30,000 Trees, 1 Man: Meet Odishas Incredible 75-Year-Old Tree Teacher #IndiaNEWS #Environment
Antaryami Sahoo from Kantilo village in Odisha was barely 11 years old when he planted a banyan sapling on his school premises. This was not part of a plantation drive, but an individual effort born out of his love for trees and the environment.
Since then, every year, he has planted a couple of trees in public spaces around his village. His love for trees grew with age, and when he joined as a teacher in Siletpada UP school, he began encouraging children there to follow suit.
During his tenure as a teacher, Antaryami planted thousands of trees in school backyards, public spaces around villages in Boudh district, on barren lands, and on the roadside. Alongside, he also spread awareness about wildlife conservation among the village residents. His work over the years has earned him the name Gachha sir, which means ‘tree’ in Odiya.
Antaryami is now 75 years old, but works with the same grit and passion to conserve the environment.
Labour of love
Antaryami travels on bicycle carrying plants and equipment.
“I joined the school as a primary teacher in 1973 and have since carried massive plantation drives across six schools, where I was transferred one after the other as part of the administrative process. I used to source a few saplings from the forest department and create a nursery from the seedlings as well,??? he tells The Better India.
Antaryami says that his work continued until 2004 when he individually planted 10,000 trees, as well as 20,000 more with students. He emphasised planting saplings such as sal, teak, banyan, mango, Indian beal, fig and other native species. He continues to plant trees even today, and has planted over 30,000 trees now, which have been documented area wise. “I also collect and distribute seeds,??? he adds.
But as Antaryami worked more for the cause, he realised that increasing greenery alone would not solve the deteriorating state of the environment. There were multiple forest fires still being reported in the region.
“Along with increasing green cover, it is imperative to protect the existing forests and trees. I learned that a majority of forest fires were attributed to the poachers, as they lit them to hunt small animals in a patch. But the flames became uncontrollable and spread, posing a threat to the forest and wildlife at large,??? he says.
With no social media or means to create awareness among people, Antaryami started making handmade posters with drawings of animals, trees and writing bullet points to emphasise the importance of saving them.
“People often think that planting trees will solve the environmental crisis. But protecting biodiversity and wildlife is equally important.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme