Mobile app version of hashkaro.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: 59-YO Makes Traditional Homemade Tamil Delicacies a Hit In Mumbai, Earns Rs 70K/Month #IndiaNEWS #Entrepreneurs Every alternate Monday, Meena Subramanian posts a new menu on Instagram offering a range

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #Entrepreneurs #IndiaNEWS

59-YO Makes Traditional Homemade Tamil Delicacies a Hit In Mumbai, Earns Rs 70K/Month #IndiaNEWS #Entrepreneurs
Every alternate Monday, Meena Subramanian posts a new menu on Instagram offering a range of traditional, pure vegetarian food items such Kozhakattai, Poricha Kozhambu, Vayyakai Kara Kari, Vendakkai Pacchidi, Puliyogare, Palada Pradhaman, jackfruit kheer, among others.
The 35 slots for orders are sold off within half an hour, and the orders are delivered by the weekend.
It has been only a year for the Mumbai-based home chef who ventured into the food business by chance.
Meena belongs to Tirunelveli city of Tamil Nadu but she was born and raised in Mumbai. She learned most of the recipes from her mother, grandmother and mother-in-law.
Her culinary skills were appreciated by her nieces, whom she frequently sent thattai and murukku, traditional fried snacks made from lentils, rice, urad dal and spices from her home kitchen. So, in 2018, they suggested she start a business. “Murukku is made by hand and requires special skill. I learned it from my grandmother and I am good at it. But I had old parents and could not pursue the business proposal,??? says the 59-year-old.
The generous spread, Meena offers in her meals.
However, the COVID-19 lockdown in 2020 posed another opportunity for her. “I sent homemade food to my son’s friends, and they loved it and their requests for Tamil delicacies became frequent,??? she tells The Better India.
Meena says, “They started offering me money and insisted on repeating the food requests and would feel bad if they did not pay. ???
This was how Perima’s kitchen was born. ‘Perima’ in Tamil means ‘mother’s elder sister’, and is often addressed by nieces and nephews of the family.
The kitchen accepts orders every alternate weekend and limits them to 35-40 deliveries. The food items change according to the seasons, festivals and availability of vegetables.
Meena says that all her ingredients and spices come from the shops of Tirunelveli, which promises the authentic taste and experience of Tamil cuisine. “The cold press oil, powders, material for pickles and other items are sourced twice or thrice a year as needed. It makes a huge difference in the food quality and taste,??? she says.
She explains that once the orders are accepted, she starts preparing for them on Saturday. “I start planning and arranging for the raw materials. Saturday is spent preparing the mixes, masalas and chopping vegetables. The food is cooked on Sunday morning and ready for delivery by 11. 30 am,??? she says.
The food contains a salad, three vegetables—out of which one is made from freshly ground coconut—rasam, sambhar or kadhi, pickle, papad, buttermilk or curd with rice and a sweet dish.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme